Monday, 20 February 2012

Pancakes with a little difference

Well its pancake day tomorrow which seems really early this year but to be honest I don't mind as I love pancakes.  In my house we all have our own favourite flavoured pancake.  My daughter loves hers with a spoonful of nutella on top and rolled into a messy roll. My son takes his pancake with a scary amount of golden syrup which I allow as it only comes once a year. For myself and my partner we both love the traditional sugar and lemon pancake. I will be sharing this recipe with you and also a recipe that I used to make at The Swan in Lavenham. I was the full time breakfast chef there and I would also make the afternoon tea cakes and scones.  This pancake is just delicious and a great start to the day.

You will need
250g Plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1tsp sea salt
3 tsp sugar
250ml whole milk
50g melted butter
2 eggs
Pinch of cinnamon
Blueberries
Creme fraiche
Maple syrup

Sieve all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
Then slowly add in your eggs then follow with the butter and milk.
Heat your frying pan with a little butter. ( I used to use a small pan and make the pancake quite thick)
Cook on one side until brown and starting to cook up the sides. Then flip the pancake over finish on hob or in the oven.
These will take a little longer as the pancake is thicker than a traditional pancake.
Then place the pancake in the middle of the dish , drizzle over maple syrup. 
Then place the blueberries around the edge of the plate and place a dollop of creme fraiche on top of the pancake Yum!!



Traditional pancake batter

115g Plain flour
Pinch of salt
1 Egg
Half a pint of milk
Butter for frying
Whatever topping you would like.

Mix all the ingredients together and heat the pan to a medium to high heat.
Then use a ladle to pour the batter into the frying pan cook until the batter starts to come away from the edges of the frying pan then turn over ( if your feeling confident why not flip it as high as you can)  Hope you enjoy and Happy Pancake Day!!





2 comments:

  1. Happy Shrove Tuesday, Hannah. I think the lemon and sugar (or orange w/sugar) seems to be a UK thing. Like you, I prefer the lemon/sugar combo or orange/sugar if I don't have any lemons or Jif. Sometimes I like to go a little wild with the golden syrup too!

    I imagine your kids will be hyper too, lol.

    -Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa, Thanks for your comment yes they were pretty hyper after all that sugar last night lol! I loved your recent cupcakes by the way really pretty :) Hannah

    ReplyDelete