Saturday, 3 March 2012

Spiced sugar and chocolate doughnuts



My favourite doughnut has got to be the Krispy cremes with chocolate glaze on top and the sweet white filling inside which I am still trying to figure what it is. If anyone knows and wants to tell me I would be really grateful because I want to make them myself one day. These doughnuts I have made today because my son asked me at half past three in the afternoon for doughnuts. I can't stand the ones you buy in the super market there just not the same and as we don't live close to a krispy creme shop, which is good because i would probably be the size of a house! so I said OK I'll make some. My son being only 4 didn't really understand the time involved in making them hence him asking me after 5 minutes are the doughnuts ready then every 10 minutes or so until they were finished. Making doughnuts is very much like making bread you need to leave the dough to rise and knock it back shape but instead of cooking in the oven you deep fry them. So here's my recipe I decided to dip mine in spiced sugar and cover in melted dark chocolate.

Ingredients
225g Strong flour
4g Salt
15g Fresh yeast
25g Sugar
25g Soft butter
15g Egg
100ml Warm water

  •  Sieve the flour in a mixing bowl add the sugar, salt, yeast and butter. Mix with a dough hook until the yeast and butter are mixed in well.
  • Then add the egg and warm water and mix with the dough hook for 5 to 10 minutes. (Can do this by hand if you don't have a mixer)
  • Once the dough is soft and leaving the sides of the bowl it is ready. Cover with cling film and leave to rise double in size.
  • Knock back the dough and roll into a sausage cut up in small portions and roll into a ball.
  • Then use your finger to make a hole in the centre of the doughnut.
  • While doing this heat your oil to 170'C
  • Place your doughnuts in the hot oil and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until golden brown and make sure you turn them half way through.
  • Dry off on some kitchen towel and dip in spiced sugar and cover in melted chocolate.









2 comments:

  1. They look yummy. I will have to try them since everyone in our family loves doughnuts but me.

    Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks you should try them yourself you might be surprised things always taste better homemade :)

    ReplyDelete